Wounds require oxygen in order to heal. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy delivers that oxygen to your body quickly and efficiently.
The treatment involves exposing patients to 100 percent oxygen in a specially-designed chamber. This does several things for the wound:
- Helps fight bacteria
- Stimulates healthy cells
- Promotes and enhances the healing process.
It is used to treat various conditions, including diabetic foot ulcers and other chronic wounds.
Our hyperbaric oxygen chamber is the largest and most advanced hyperbaric monoplace (one-person) chamber in the world.
Spacious Interior for Maximum Comfort
It features a large interior (41 inches) that gives you ample room to rest in a reclined position. Our patients love the spaciousness because it helps them remain comfortable and relaxed.
The expanded size allows patients up to 700 lbs. to comfortably receive treatments.
Watch TV While You Get Treatment
One of the reasons we chose this model (Sechrist Model 4100) for our facility is that it caters to patient comfort. It has a built-in, fully integrated entertainment system that allows you to watch television and movies or listen to music.
Expertly Made to Ensure Safety
Plus, this particular manufacturer has a very thorough inspection and safety process. Sechrist hyperbaric oxygen chambers are the only of their type that are fully manufactured and tested in the U.S.
These comfort and safety features are highly important to us; our patients’ safety and comfort are top priority.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is an outpatient procedure. You can get it done right here at our center in Bakersfield. We have same- and next-day appointments for your convenience.
Here are a few things to expect during the treatment:
- When you come in for therapy, you will lie down on a table that slides into a clear tube.
- The air pressure in the chamber will increase three-fold, allowing your lungs to gather more oxygen than under normal environmental conditions. Your blood then carries oxygen throughout the body, delivering it to your wound to promote healing.
- The treatment is painless and you are comfortable the entire time. You can relax, watch TV, or listen to music if you wish.
- The only thing you may feel is fullness in your ears, similar to what you feel when taking off in an airplane. Yawning and swallowing can relieve the pressure.
- Therapy typically lasts anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours. Our staff will be monitoring you the entire time.
- After the session, you may feel slightly tired or lightheaded. This won’t last long, though, and it has no lasting effect.
The results of hyperbaric oxygen therapy can be excellent, especially when used as part of a comprehensive treatment plan.
Our patients with diabetic and other chronic ulcers can attest to the amazing healing rate. Serious chronic wounds often show reduction in ulcer size in a matter of weeks. Like all treatments though, effectiveness varies by patient. Much depends on the severity and extent of your wounds and how well your body responds.
Most patients with chronic wounds require multiple sessions to receive the full benefit of the treatment.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is generally safe. Complications, which are rare, include:
- Eardrum issues (due to the pressure)
- Temporary nearsightedness
- Lung collapse
Talk to one of our physicians about hyperbaric oxygen therapy and how it may benefit you. We accept most types of insurance, many of which cover hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
Call the Wound and Hyperbaric Center at 661-324-4100 to schedule an appointment today.